Friday 17 October 2008

Edvard Munch Madonna painting

Edvard Munch Madonna paintingAlbert Moore silver paintingRene Magritte The Blank Check painting
Sulpicius! He'll know if anyone does. Good morning, Sulpicius. I want you to do a favour for Asinius Polho and myself. There's a book we want to look at, a commentary by a Greek called Polemocles on Polybius's Military Tactics. I seem to remember coming across it here once, but the catalogue does not mention it and the librarians, here are perfectly useless." Sulpicius gnawed his beard for awhile and then said:Then Livy saw me. "Hullo, my friend, how goes it? Do you know the famous Asinius Pollio?" I saluted them and Pollio said: "What's that you're reading, boy? Trash, I'll be bound, by the shamefaced way you hide it. Young fellows nowadays
"You've got the name wrong. Polemocrates was the name and he wasn't a Greek, in spite of his name, but a Jew. Fifteen years ago I remember seeing it on that top shelf, the fourth from the window, right at the back, and the title tag had just 'A Dissertation on Tactics' on it. Let me get it for you. I don't expect it's been moved since then."

No comments: